Unified Communications (UC) merges several methods we use to communicate (email, telephone, chat, video, and online meetings) into a single, integrated experience.
Texas Tech University's UC eliminates the need for separate email, telephone, and instant messaging (IM) systems. Additionally, it provides advanced communications capabilities as listed below:
- Place and receive phone calls using your TTU business number at any location at TTU or on the Internet, not just a fixed desk phone;
- Host online meetings with anyone on the Internet (not just at TTU) via TTU's conferencing services using Microsoft Skype for Business;
- Host online classes, interviews, and guest speakers;
- Quickly look up the contact information for employees at TTU, determine their availability, and initiate a conversation over the phone, via chat, or through email with a simple click of the mouse;
- In addition to email and voicemail, instant message conversations can also be delivered to your Inbox; and
- Use the Skype for Business mobile application to receive/place business calls, use IM, or join online meetings.
See the Wikipedia article on Unified Communications for more information about UC.
Texas Tech University uses Skype for Business Server 2015 from Microsoft to accomplish its UC initiatives and to offer UC services. The primary software for customers in the UC solution are the Microsoft Skype for Business and Outlook software applications.
Skype for Business
Skype for Business is the server and client-side technology which powers and enables UC. Skype for Business works seamlessly with Microsoft Office 365, as well as many other applications. While telephone numbers are assigned to TTU employees only, additional features are available for the entire TTU community as listed below:
- Instant messaging with enhanced formatting;
- Contact management to help you locate and select the people you need;
- Presence management to indicate your availability;
- Data sharing and collaboration tools designed to facilitate office productivity;
- Web conferencing capability that is simple to use; and
- Communication anywhere you have a phone or computer—your work phone service is no longer confined to the office.
- Install and configure Skype for Business for TTU UC
- Enterprise voice (EV) service for employees
- Emergency communications
- Etiquette guidelines for UC
For more assistance with Skype for Business, please check www.askit.ttu.edu for a solution or contact IT Help Central.